Monday, March 10, 2014

Week #26 - Narbonne


NEW ADDRESS:


Les Missionnaires
Elder Max Liechty 
1 Rue Des Thermes
Narbonne 11100
FRANCE


Narbooooooooooonne

Hey, ma famille!

He has taught some Chinese people, but here in Narbonne, there's not a whole lot of people, let alone Chinese :)  His French is really good, close to fluent.  I don't know if I told you this in the last email, but his grandparents live here, in Narbonne.  So he's been here on vacations with his famille.  And, also, his grandma is a member, but not his grandpa.  We're teaching him.  It's NUUUUUUUTTTTSSSS to think about.  Nuts.

The appartement is nice, it has the nicest shower in the mission, according to the office elders and the senior couples.  It is a nice shower.  It's a good size, except......we have bikes!  So that takes up a little room.

We get along pretty dang well, I'd say.  We seem to have a lot in common, actually.  And get this:  there is a very good chance he knows Caity.  wut wut.  He thinks he was in the same ward as her at USU.  I'm gonna ask her

The branch is nice.  It's very little, but it's nice.  I like the people, a lot of them are old :)  The thing is, there are about 30 people at church, but about 200 on the ward list.  can you say LESS ACTIVE WORK.

We take a train and then walk to church, because we are a part of a branch in a different area.  It takes about 30 minutes, I'd say, maybe a little more.  But it's worth it because it's church!

The weather is incredibly pleasant.  Sunny, warm.  However, Narbonne is WIIIIIIIIINDY.  Very windy.  It helps when it's warm, but it really empeches when we're on bikes.  It always seems to be going the opposite direction that we are biking :)

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.  I'll send him something uplifting because I looooooooove him

Car accident!  Ha.  At first when I saw that I was sad, but then I read it and then I just laughed because that's funny.  Utah.  The drivers there are almost as bad as the French!

This week was....fun?

GET READY

Lundi, we arrived in Narbonne.  Then that evening we had dinner with a fella named Greg.  Now get this.  When I heard the name Greg, I thought "my MTC teacher taught a guy named Greg who was really cool, but he lives in Aix-en-Provence, so that's not him" then I saw him, and he was familiar, and it was him, and he moved here to Béziers.  WOW.  More on that later, you'll see.  He told us about his conversion story, and it kind of reminded me of yours (from what you've told me.  Which reminds me, will you tell me THE WHOLE STORY because I've never really asked).

Then the next few days were spent riding bikes and handing out flyers for this event that was to take place vendredi.  It was fun, my legs got toned, I met some people, so on.  On mardi evening, we had an english leçon plus spiritual thought with a cool less active famille, the Fructuosos.  They should be coming back, soon.

Before going out mercredi to hand out flyers again, we played some b-ball in the morning with a cool famille that we are teaching.  They are from Martinique, and they are 7th Day Adventists...:) They are an awesome famille.  The dad's name is Denis, but I can't remember the name of the whole famille.  That evening, after handing out flyers, we had a RDV with a fella and his friend.  They are both old and Catholic, but friendly.  One of them liked to talk a lot, but the one who was quiet seemed to be paying more attention.  He's the one we want to work with, anyway :)

Then.  Jeudi.  Elder Phelps woke up with a fever of 101.  So we had to stay in all day.  I watched all the church movies we had, read some scriptures, that's about it.  Bummer.

Then, Vendredi, the day we were supposed to have that thing that we invited everyone to, Elder Phelps still had the fever, so we still had to stay inside.  And then we found out in the end that something had happened to the room we had reserved for this information seminar, so we couldn't even go that night...our branch mission leader was awesome enough to go and put up a paper saying that it was cancelled due to whatever had happened.  So.  We had kind of wasted a week giving out those invites.  Buuuuuummmmmmer.  Got a lot of scripture study in, though, that was nice

Samedi I finally got to go outside again.  The nurse made Elder Phelps stay inside one more day, but we went on exchange with the district leader so I could get out.  That was nice.  I went up to Béziers, and it was kind of like my first experience with being senior companion, because I was with the district leader's bleu.  FUN.  It was actually really fun, and that kid is going somewhere.  He's a good worker.  But mostly, that day reminded me how god it felt to get outside and work and do missionary stuff.  We taught a lesson to a recent convert, and he was awesome.  Is awesome.  We introduced him to member missionary work, and it was good.  He liked it.  I like him.  YES

Dimanche was great, because guess who was at my branch that day.  It was Frère Smith, my MTC teacher!  He was in town visiting Greg, because he had actually served just next to here, in Carcassonne, and also he wanted to visit Greg.  That was really cool to see him.  He was a number one example of a good guy and awesome missionary.  We took pictures, but they are only on his phone and Greg's phone.  I'll do what I can to get them, don't worry.  THen, that evening, we had to do weekly planning n stuff, so we didn't even get to go out this week, really.  Kind of a bummer, but you know, it was fun.

Then this morning, I met Elder Phelp's grandparents, as they drove us to go get groceries.  Still crazy nuts to think about it!  Get sent somewhere to teach and baptize your own kin.  Crazy.  It's gonna be an adventure.  If I can ask one thing, can you pray for him, the grandad?  We have a crazy goal to get him to pray this week, because he has never prayed, and is too stubborn to really try.  But he's softening, and we need the help of your prayers, please and thanks :)

I have some needs of things.  Ummm.  I am almost out of that face wash.  I dropped my razor behind the shower and it is impossible to get, so....I guess I could probably just buy one here, because I saw the razor heads that fit my razor, so Imagine the razor is there, too.  Um, also, maybe a frisbee would be fun?  We're thinking of ideas other than contacting we can do here, because Narbonne has only been open for about four transfers now, and just about everyone has been contacted.  We need a new strategie to get amis.  HELP please!

I'm really excited for this week to have nobody get sick so we can get out and work and have fun.  Very excited, yes.  I love you all, and I love this church, and I love Jesus, and I love my Heavenly Father.

Love,
Elder Liechty

No comments:

Post a Comment