Monday, September 23, 2013

Week #1 in Crozet, France





MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
I'm so in France right now.
It's amazing.  Get this get this get this.  Remember how I always kind of dreamed that I would serve in Switzerland?  Well get this.  I'm in Gex.  Well, that's my area, I'm living in Crozet.  But anway, Guess where Gex is.  Guess.  That's right, it's about zero minutes from the border of Suisse.  I could literally walk into  Suisse from one of the villes Ferney-Voltaire.  Funny thing, the other équipe (companionship) that lives in the apartment with us accidentally walked right into Suisse while we were contacting.  That was pretty hilarious.
This place is beautiful.  I'm gonna send some quick pictures of the mountains I can see. (HE DIDN"T).  Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure they're the Suisse Alps.  And also, from the DMP's house (Ward Mission Leader), we can see Genève, Suisse.  Speaking of the DMP, he's 23 years old (I believe), fresh off his mission, and super excited for helping us.  And the ward is amazing.  Yeah yeah A WARD.  From what I've heard, this is the largest ward in the Lyon mission.  And everyone is really amazing, and they all want us over for dinner, and half of them are American or speak English.  I'm spoiled.  I mean, it's a little unfortunate, because I'm not exactly being forced to learn French right now, so it's not coming as fast as maybe it could.  And also, this place is so amazing, that how will all the others compare?  But I know that I will love all my areas and all the people I serve, so I'm not afraid.  And the members should be able to help teach me French because they had to learn it, too.
Tell Sam this and pronounce it to all the world:
SHAME ON YOU, LITTLE BOY.  You think it's alright to stay out on dates after midnight just because your super cool older brother did it a couple times?  Well at leat I waited till like my fifth or sixth date or something, not my FIRST (or second, maybe?  How many have you gone on?)  Sam Sam Sam.  Woo the ladies, but get them home before midnight, cuz the fathers will hate you less for stealing their daughters.
So I arrived here in France Tuesday après-midi, in Lyon, and we met the APs, and the foreigners from the other MTCs.  I was roomed with a Frenchie, Elder Letterme, and he's real French.  Then we went about eating French food, meeting the President and his wife, and talking to French people.

Day two we did legality n stuff, then practiced contacting out in a big plaza in Lyon.  I was singing French hymns and people would walk by and stop and listen, and then some missionaries would break from the choir and snipe the Frenchie and talk gospel to them.  

It was pretty cool, but I had no Idea what everyone was saying.  So I didn't do a whole lot of contacting that day.
The next day we got paired up with our trainers.  I got Elder Beyer from Kaysville, UT.  He's really cool.  He's known as the plus beau de la mission (the most handsome in the mission), and I'm not gonna lie, he's a handsome man.  We took a train to a bus and the bus to a stop where Frère Polucchi picked us up.  We live in the basement of the famille Polucchi, and it's a sweet apartment.  We live with another équipe in the basement.  And the Polucchis make the most amazing food for us sometimes.  Lasagna, pizza, all things Italian.  They're an awesome famille.
The day after, we went contacting and porting (port à port (door to door)) in Gex, with little success.  We got some numbers, and we managed to stop by some amis (investigators) houses and talk to them for a little.  I didn't understand most of what was going on.
Oh yeah, someting I forgot to share, is that all four of us are whitewashing Gex.  Two trainers, two bleus, the first elders here since like a year or something.  So we all have no idea what we're doing really and what works best.  But luckily both my collègue and the other trainer both speak French, so we're getting around.
The next day we did some service for Frère Polucchi.  So no, I didn't miss out on yardwork, I got plenty of it.  He's trying to level his yard, so we did some good dirt moving and plant moving, and the works.  After that we went contacting in Ferney-Voltaire, when the other équipe accidentally walked into Suisse.  We stopped by our first members that nuit, a really jeune famille, and they're really nice, too.
Sunday was Sunday, and we got to go to church and meet all the members.  They're amazing.  The YSA are really cool and normal, so that's nice.  And then after la réunion de Saint-Cène, literally everyone asked us over for meals some day that week.  And one lady gave us some noodles, salad, and a whole chicken to eat for lunch.  They're really amazing.  Then afterwards we visited the DMP famille, the Aubins, and went over some missionary things.  And then with Frère Aubin, Guillome, we visited some less actives in Thoiry, where he lives.  Then did some nice contacting and passed some members.
In Thoiry that night, they where having their annual crazy huge no reason specifc party and it was really loud and really French.  So there weren't a whole lot of people on the street or at home since they were all at the party.
Sorry this letter is a little cluttered and maybe somewhat confusing and also not so detailed, but I'm still getting used to this French keyboard (the letters are all mixed up) and I'm running out of time.
Love you all so much, love this gospel, and I hope I get better at French so I can talk to these people,
Love,
Elder Liechty

No comments:

Post a Comment