Monday, August 26, 2013

Week #3 - MTC

Dear the fam,


As for San Fran, we went alone, just a bunch o missionaries, no adults.  And our travel leader was clueless.  He was travel leader cuz his name was first in the alphabet, but I think he's probably been to an airport once, if that.  Just clueless.  Luckily, the son of travel master Kent Liechty was there to guide all the noobs about the airports.  FOLLOW THE SIGNS.  You don't need the map if there's a sign, pal.

My stomach: pretty sure it's wheat.  Cuz I stopped and my tummy was fine, and then I started again and my tummy hurt.  I think I can eat small doses of wheat and I'll be fine, but too much (like a whole sandwich or cake or something) just throws off my game.  You know.  My "game"

People I saw:
Ben Adamson's parents.  Like four times.  Once through the window, we waved to each other cuz I was in the middle of a lesson, and the next time I talked with Sister Adamson on a bench on my way to Priesthood meeting, and then I saw them a couple more times through the window of my classroom.  Brother Adamson must be in a branch presidency or something, cuz they're there every Sunday.
Ray Smith.  Wha-wha-what?  I saw Ray Smith.  He was coming out of the room where I have Priesthood cuz he must've just finished with his meeting, and he recognized me, and we say hey, and that was fun.
I've seen loads of Lone Peakers, and said bye-bye to some of they good ones just the other day cuz they leave for the field today and tomorrow.  One of whom is Nate Olson, who I see fairly often, but not loads.  He leaves tomorrow.  That's so exciting, I really can't wait to get to Franch.

One more thing to share before we get into this:
The MTC President looks like Geoffrey Rush combined with the old guy from Boston we saw at Tahoe that looked kind of like a Basset Hound.  That's just something important I noticed.

Now to the good stuff.
This week was crazy cray and just faster than I could have imagined.  I don't really remember anything from Monday or Tuesday because, even though this week was so fast, those were forever ago.  What I do remember, though, is that we started with a new investigator one of those days.  Prior to this investigator, we had only had one.  And what we did for her was she showed us a video at the beginning of who she was (en francais), so it was like we'd met her before or street contacted or something.  So we knew some stuff about her.  But this next investigator we went in straight up door contact, no prior knowledge, en francais.  But it was great.  I didn't bring any notes, and I feel like I did better, because I made eye contact instead of reading off a paper or something lame.  She said she believed in science, but we got her to pray.  Eat that, science.  And the coolest thing after that was she came in and talked to us about how we did, and she told us that she is actually a convert and this is how she was before she was baptized, and so this was basically real.

Then, the next day was kinda the buns.  I was feeling lazy and empty and I felt like everyone was feeling the spirit but me.  SPIRITUAL THOUGHT TIME.  So I prayed that night to help me feel and recognize the Spirit.  And I went to bed with the best feeling ever.  And then the next day we had something called "TRC" or "Training Resource Center."  You go in and you have basically an FHE style meeting with members in the area who speak French.  Funny thing is, they think they're coming in to help us teach French, but in reality, we're helping them come closer to Christ with the lessons we share with them.  Elder Higham and I prayed so hard before our lesson that we would be influenced by the Spirit what to teach.  And the first lady we tought, we made cry because she felt the Spirit.  she said we said exactly what she needed to hear.  Oh yeah.  And the next two guys also felt the Spirit, you could tell.  It was probably the most fun I've had teaching at the MTC so far.

BUT THEN.  I got a cold.  It was starting on Friday, worse on Saturday, the WORST on Sunday, but it's starting to clear up nicely.  This is the fastest a cold has ever cleared up for me, I'd say.  Probably the involvement of the Spirit or something.

BUT ALSO THEN.  On Saturday night, i believe it was, we had another door contacting activity.  And we went up to the door and said "bonjour, je m'appelle Elder Liechty et il s'appelles Elder Higham.  Nous sommes missionaires de L'Eglise de Jésus-Christ des Saints des Derniers Jours, et nous avons un message pour vous.  Est-ce que vous croyez en Dieu?"  (hi, we're missionaries, we have a message, do you believe in God?)  He straight up said no, and we asked him why, and he said his family was Protestant, but he didn't agree with them and didn't really believe in God.  So we told him what we believe, and that God loves us, and he asked "If God loves us, why is there sadness and starving children in Africa?"  Stupid question.  Not actually stupid, but I didn't know what to do, especially en francais.  So we train wrecked an explanation, and he looked at his watch, and said "I have to eat."  And I looked behind him, and he was in classroom, THERE WAS NO FOOD, HE DIDN'T HAVE TO EAT.  He was just avoiding us.  That hurt.  He's a stupid face (or, as the French would say, a stoop-eh-d-uh f-eh-ssuh, soft on the "uhs").  And then we learned that for the rest of our district, he was pretty easy, and most of them got return appointments.  How rude.

But I still love it here, and the Spirit is so strong, and my French is coming along nicely.  AND I GOT MY FIRST HAIRCUT.  Not bad, not bad.  You do better, but not bad.

Anyway, love you all,
Elder Liechty

No comments:

Post a Comment